Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wild Bore

My students are quite free with me (a little too free at times, according to me). Many have come and told me that my lectures have got boring - said that on my face. Apparently, even  History or Hindi lesson are looking better than my class. Well, I agree.

In an attempt to try out a set methodology of teaching I have been following a pattern. I  follow a strict flow in my class (see the earlier post). It seems, students have figured it out. There isn't a surprise element in how I will teach a period. This predictability has lead to children getting bored in my class.

This suggest two important points. Firstly, the surprise element is important as it drives intent of students. They need to figure out what comes next - while I have to pretend that I don't know and throw the ball in their court.

The second significant thing is the way one teaches. I think How you teach has a greater impact on students than what you teach. Unless your teaching techniques are interesting, what you teach isn't going to go across.

Yet, large amount of time, efforts and monitoring is focused on content and not on the delivery. Teachers get set in their ways (haven't we all predicted a teacher) as years go by. We need to re-orient teachers into delivering content and developing different styles.

I have no idea, how I am going to handle the class as students return from vacation. Something will work out

No comments:

Post a Comment