Sunday, October 9, 2011

What did I learn

I was going through my students' note-books. As every teacher knows - there are tonnes corrections to be done. Since I give notes of my own (and not from text book) it involved reading my own words through a mountain of note-books. In one note-book I ran into something different. This boy had scribbled something in the margins every few pages. He is an enthusiastic but disruptive boy, so I was irritated see this mess.

To my surprise, he had written "What did I learn" after every topic and in the narrow margins. He had summarized what he found important after we had finished a topic. That was so sensible, and why had this not occurred to me. What did I learn ? I decided to make this a formal practice for my lessons. After every major topic, I would quickly round-up 'what we learnt' from students and commit them to the notebook. This time, not in the margin but within the notes.

The next day, I celebrated this boy in the class and thanked him for giving me this great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment